Job Title: Youth Leader (2 Fresher Job Vacancies)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy. We tackle youth unemployment by reforming what schools teach and how they teach it, so that students in Africa have the skills to start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
Job Summary: We are looking for enthusiastic, self-driven, organised individuals with great interpersonal and communication skills to fill positions in the Programs Department. The Youth Leader(s) respectively shall lead in monitoring & evaluation reporting and support, administrative support, mentor support as well as club advisory services for a team of vibrant youths who run the innovative Educate! Experience Program in the respective Districts These include; Luweero and Kampala (Makindye). You’ll join a motivated, passionate, overachieving team that is positioning Educate! to be the leader in skills-based secondary education in Africa and intensively impact one million youth each year by 2024.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Monitoring & Evaluation Support (30%):
- Receive list of Top Scholars for back home Project Interviews of the Mentor and arrange with Mentor date and time for Back home Project Interviews
- During the Backhome Project Interview simultaneously enter responses in the Smartphone Monitoring Form “Backhome Project” and give data to the RO
- Check the sms tracking sheet to ensure that the sms sent by the mentor have the right format and compare the sms report with the sms tracking sheet according to the M&E Data quality check procedure.
- Attend mentor meetings, interschool skills retreat, association trainings plus meetings and record the attendance of the mentors, associates and scholars.
- Enter the data in the smartphone monitoring form and hand the sheets to the Regional Officer ( RO).
- Visit and collect all information for Educate! Club Survey
- Enter the Educate! Club data in the Smartphone Monitoring Form “Educate! Club Information”
- Conduct End of Course Survey with the Educate! Scholars
- Conduct SSAT Survey with Educate! scholars
Club Advisory (30%):
- Schedule with mentors club meetings and advise accordingly
- Attend club meetings in touch with club leadership
- Invite guest speakers who can benefit the clubs
- Carry out club surveys and evaluations with Program Officer (PO)and co-mentor
- Lead club discussions sessions in YBE meetings
- Take note of red school clubs for immediate support in trainings, meetings and mentor coaching forums
- Provide insights into club management to mentors, Program Officer and regional officer
- Monitor club progress to hit termly milestones for all schools per term
- Source for any resources necessary to make clubs successful
- Promote a brand in visibility of club activities in schools through Educate! Days
- Ensure clubs operate with right standards as guided by the Educate! Club guide
- Meet leadership monthly to understand, draw work plans and mentor them for better leadership.
- Visit each club at least once a month, observing projects carried out and update administrators on club and program progress.
Administrative Support (20%):
- Research local vendors according to the administration procedures.
- Prepare venues and Officer with food vendors for all major events for community unit including Administrator Training, Experience-Week training, pre-term mentor training, Mentor induction, partner-trainings, and YBE graduation.
- Be available to receive materials from the taxi/ bus park and take ownership by counting materials and distributing them.( Refer to the youth leader handbook for details)
- Assist mentors with any materials and supplies they need to run the Educate! Experience program at schools. Coordinate with regional office to collect and distribute replacement materials and supplies when needed.
- Assist mentors and officers with any logistical support they need to run EXP and YBE programs.
- Assist mentors with organizing community Unit retreats during term 2 and competitions in term 4
Mentor Support (20%):
- Create a monthly co-teaching schedule with mentors every first YBE meeting of the month
- Co-teach with the mentors during the visits and before class starts, check scholar IDs to ensure only scholars attend the lesson
- Visit clubs to give advice on projects and businesses.
- Use the judging rubric to score clubs against each judging criteria during the community
- Complete club visit report form for submission to Program officer immediately after visit.
- Support mentors during mentoring week and complete Mentoring week visit form which should be submitted to PO
- Youth Leaders should observe each Mentor three times in the term
- Co-Pitch the Educate! Experience with the mentors to senior 5 students during assembly.
- Interview students together with the mentor.
- Support mentor during registration session with 40 selected scholars + give out IDs + invite scholars for first session
- Fill in the selected 40 scholars in the Official Scholar Tracker and keep in Community Unit file during Mentor Meetings
- Continuously update Official Scholar Tracker during mentor meetings based on dropped/active status
- Assist with mentor-recruitment during Term 2 and Term 3 through calling graduates on recruitment short-list to inform them about the program, assisting with information sessions, communicating to candidates about process, and collecting parental release forms.
- Assist with back-up mentor training in during pre-term 3 holiday by leading sessions and organizing logistics.
- · Visit Mentors at their schools to provide support and guidance at least once a term.
- Call mentors bi-monthly to support their work in EXP and YBE programs.
- Identify high-potential youth to participate in YBE program.
- Select graduates to participate in the Short Course program
- Organize and run annual 4-day short course training, including finding a venue, coordinating with food vendors, and leading training.
- Follow-up monthly with Junior Mentors on short-course progress.
- Conduct Short-Course monitoring survey at end of program
- Disseminate graduate opportunities, helping with applications in link with graduate fellow.
- Coordinate with partner schools every February to ensure that Educate! Graduate Registration Sheet is filled in as graduates pick exam results from schools.
- Call all graduates on community unit list to verify and update graduate contacts .Submit updated contacts to Office regularly.
- Conduct graduate survey as directed by the M&E department.
- Support scholars to apply for US university opportunities.
- Source for high-potential graduates to participate in YBE and other graduate programs
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- He / she should hold a Diploma in any relevant field (Diploma in Education has an added advantage)
- Experience of at least one year working in a fast paced environment.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified candidates who wish to join Educate! should apply online at the link below: