Job Title: Communications Manager
Organisation: Living Goods (LG)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Uganda Country Director
Living Goods (LG) supports networks of ‘Avon-like’ micro-entrepreneurs who go door-to-door teaching families how to improve their health and wealth while selling affordable, high-impact products like basic medicines, fortified foods, water filters, clean cook stoves, and solar lights. Living Goods seeks nothing less than a disruptive reinvention of distribution in emerging markets, through networks of franchised micro-entrepreneurs who leverage Living Goods’ brand, buying power and mobile marketing tools to deliver vital products at accessible prices to the people who need them most. By combining the best practices from the worlds of micro-enterprise, franchising and public health, Living Goods is creating a fully sustainable system to improve the health, and wealth, of underserved communities.
Job Summary: The Communications Manager will support the development and dissemination of stories about our programs, help develop attractive and engaging collaterals and presentations, and position our work with key stakeholders through earned and social media. You will also help raise awareness about our work – and community health more broadly – at key forums and other stakeholder engagement meetings. This is a full-time role, based in Kampala, Uganda, and you can expect up to 25% travel across the country.
Our ideal candidate is an exceptional writer, has a knack for visual design and presentation, is savvy with social media, has experience working successfully pitching and placing stories in the media, and is a strong multi-tasker who can thrive in a fast-paced environment. As the Communications Manager, you will work with internal and external resources to develop and share stories about our work and impact strengthening Community Health systems with audiences across the globe.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write and oversee the design of a biannual country report on our work in Uganda targeted to government audiences.
- Develop and implement a country-level communications strategy for national and district-level audiences, in collaboration with communications, advocacy and program staff in Uganda and the U.S.
- Regularly travel to the field to document compelling content and imagery about our work in Uganda, for both local and global audiences. This will include success stories, fact sheets, blog posts, emails, stakeholder reports, social media content, and more.
- Help create and post content on our WordPress website on a regular basis, and support curation and posting of content on social media platforms.
- Identify and cultivate key press contacts nationally and at the district level to generate strategic earned media opportunities that amplify both Living Goods’ work and government commitments to community health; assist with pitching and media relations.
- Provide internal communications leadership in Uganda, and identify communications tools and tactics that facilitate the sharing of important learnings and foster staff cohesion.
- Support the planning and execution of events, conferences and meetings hosted by Living Goods and external stakeholders, including supporting logistics, branding, presentation development, talking points and collateral development.
- Support a culture of learning and documentation by building the capacity of other staff in Uganda to effectively write and document programs through blogs and other vehicles to create an organizational culture supporting communications.
- Hire and manage external consultants and vendors and support consistent branding across field offices.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Living Goods Communications Manager job placement must hold a University degree in communications or related field.
- At least three years’ experience in developing and implementing comprehensive communication tools and tactics (working with both print and digital media), ideally for an international development organization; background in community health issues a strong plus.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in English. Expert-level presentation skills. You know how to write an effective success story, and are willing (and eager) to get dirty traveling to the field to document impactful stories about community health and the work Living Goods is doing.
- Highly computer literate with the Microsoft Office Suite; expertise in the Adobe Creative Suite strongly desired.
- Strong experience with digital media, including website management (ideally WordPress) and with targeting influencers on major social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
- Experience developing press pitches and generating earned media. Strong media contacts at the national and district level highly desirable.
- Experience identifying and managing communications consultants, such as videographers beneficial.
Compensation: A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience including health insurance and bonus opportunity.
NB: Please note that only candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will be considered.
How to Apply:
All candidates are strongly encouraged to Apply Online at the web link below: