Job Title: Terms of Reference for Consultancy – Design and Implementation of Public Awareness Strategy (Outdoor Advertisement Services)
Organization: Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
As part of its commitment to support wildlife law enforcement and interventions to reduce poaching, illegal wildlife trade, trafficking, and consumption, Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) aims to create awareness about the importance of protecting endangered species by disseminating information to the public. With support from the D.N. Batten Foundation, the “Uganda-China Initiative(U-CI)” will support Uganda Wildlife Authority and Civil Aviation Authority to disseminate key information to the public aimed at reducing wildlife crime and ultimately increase species population in East Africa.
WCS is seeking to contract a suitably qualified and experienced consultant/firm to undertake work associated with the design and implementation of communication and public awareness materials related to the above-mentioned project. The purpose of this Terms of Reference (TOR) is to solicit competitive proposals for the consultancy advertised.
Wildlife awareness messages will be delivered via billboards and signages at strategic high traffic hotspots within Kampala and Entebbe International Airport (Kibuye round about, Entebbe Airport and the Fairway intersection). The graphics on the billboards will communicate key message highlighting the need to value and protect wildlife as well as discouraging the public from engaging in illegal trade, trafficking, consumption or illegal possession of wildlife. The billboards will display commonly illegally traded species, signs and messages of caution, penalties for poaching, illegal possession, and involvement in illegal wildlife trade, trafficking, and consumption of protected species and calls to the public to value and protect the country’s diverse wildlife species richness.
Objective: The objective of the consultancy is to design and implement communication and public awareness materials intended to motivate and educate the public about the need to value and protect endangered wildlife species.
Scope of Work
The consultant will be contracted to:
Conceptualize, develop layout, format, design and implement public promotional materials to increase awareness on the need to value and protect Uganda’s diverse wildlife species. The following will be required:
- Originality of designs and artwork to avoid plagiarism
- Use of high quality materials that are weather resistant and durable.
- Use of lamination and UV resistible inks to avoid color fading.
- All billboards will be in the English language
- WCS will entirely own the copyright to all billboards, graphics, designs, and artwork.
Expected Deliverables and Due Dates complete the outputs mentioned above, the consultant will be required to:
Prepare and present a comprehensive public awareness work-plan outlining the work/activities to be undertaken, including implementation plan and timelines five (5) days after award of contract Prepare and present design layouts (Printing /production) of billboards and other materials for review (with relevant photos and massages) per hotspot ten (10) days after the submission and approval of the work plan. Installation/implementation will be done within five (5) days after WCS’ approval of all communication materials.
Presentation of Final Report describing accomplishment of eighty percent 80% of activities outlined and on the consultancy which is upon completion of maintenance period as specified in the contract
- 10% on submission and acceptance of the work-plan, including public awareness strategy with implementation plans and timelines
- 70% on submission and acceptance of Progress Report describing accomplishment of 80% percent of the planned and approved messages and designs. Design layouts and other materials already completed must be attached as final products to this report.
- 20% on submission and acceptance of the Final Report describing activities achieved based on work plan and upon completion of maintenance period as specified in the contract
Proposals will be evaluated on the basis of:
- Cost effectiveness / price
- Implementation methodology
- Experience of consultant/firm
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
The applicant’s team should have the following qualifications:
- A master’s degrees in the field of Industrial Art and Applied Design or Marketing
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in graphic designs, marketing, development communications or a related field
- Capability and proven experience in developing and executing public awareness strategies
- Capability and proven experience crafting messages for outdoor advertising targeting a variety of audiences
- Ability and proven experience in multi-tasking, taking initiative and working effectively under pressure
- Familiarity with branding compliance and outdoor messaging
- Excellent written skills
- Prior experience in developing wildlife related massages is an added advantage
Submission requirements: Proposal submissions are to include the following:
- Technical proposal not exceeding 10 pages in length with the proposed approach and activities to be taken for the implementation and management of the consultancy, including an operational work plan with timelines
- Breakdown of costs with man days for each team members (if team approach is utilized).
- Curriculum Vitae of consultant and for each member of the team (if a team approach is utilized)
- Other supporting material deemed to be relevant to the proposal may be attached as an annex.
Duration and location: The duration of the Consultancy is scheduled to last a maximum of twelve (12) months. The Scope of work can be conducted remotely with project team via electronic communication. However, face-to- face meetings will be required to discuss the requirements, implementation process and other pertinent details for the execution of the Scope of Work as well as the final presentation of the final report. Any equipment or materials needed to accomplish these TOR will be covered by the consultant. Any expenses, unless explicitly articulated by the WCS, will be at the expense of the consultant
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are requested to submit their Proposals based on the Terms of Reference outlined above to contact persons below;
The Country Director, WCS Uganda Program
Wildlife Conservation Society
Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 1st August 2019