Man dies, another unconscious after drinking hand sanitizer in Agago

hand sanitizer
A lady sanitizing her hands

Agago, Uganda | URN | A 38-year-old man in Agago district has died while his colleague is still unconscious and battling for his life after reportedly drinking undiluted alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Johnson Omona, a porter at Kaket health centre II in Lapono Sub-county died on Sunday 31, January 2021 afternoon while being referred to Dr Ambrosoli Memorial hospital Kalongo in Kalongo town council.

He reportedly consumed the potent liquid on Saturday 30th with Louis Odonga, 53, a watchman at the same health facility. Odonga is currently admitted at Dr Ambrosoli Memorial hospital Kalongo in critical condition.

Samuel Bua, the officer-in-charge of the health facility declined to comment on the matter when contacted on Monday 1st. A health worker at Kaket health centre II confirmed the incident.

Read Also: Continuous use of hand sanitizer makes skin dry, itchy – Experts

He says the hand sanitizer ingested by the duo was being kept in a store in a 20 litres Jerry-can and suspects they took it desperately as a substitute for liquor.

According to him, the hand sanitizer which contained 75 per cent ethanol was a donation from Rhites North Acholi to Agago district health department to help in the fight against COVID-19.