Job Title: Procurement Specialist
Organisation: East African Community (EAC)
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Job Advert open to Ugandans
The East African Community (EAC) is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, the Republic of South Sudan, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments.
About ADF Grant:
Following a request from EAC Secretariat to the African Development Fund (ADF) for support to the areas of Payment and Settlement Systems Integration of the EAC-Financial Sector Development and Regionalization Project (FSDRP1), the ADF committed to provide a grant in support of the establishment of EA Payment and Settlement Systems Integration Project (EAC-PSSIP) in the EAC region.
The main objective of this assignment is to provide technical advice and manage all stages of the procurement process for Goods, and Consultancy Services undertaken by the EAC Secretariat with regard to the project implementation of the EAC-PSSIP. The Procurement specialist will report to the Payment Systems Specialist/ Project Manager.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Procurement Specialist will develop and implement a cost effective procurement management systemfor the EAC-PSSIP, including procurement plans in accordance with theAfDB Rules and Procedures. The duties and functions of the Procurement Specialist will include, but not limited to:
- Set up systems for procurement planning, implementation, monitoring and documentation for the EAC-PSSIP as per required standards;
- Carrying out tendering processes for procurement of goods and services in accordance with the AfDB Rules and Procedures;
- Initiation, preparation and update procurement plans in consultation with the EAC-PSSIP National Core Project Team;
- Advice the project team at all stages of procurement process to ensure that the EAC-PSSIP procurement activities are carried out in accordance with the provision of the grant agreement and the Project Appraisal Report;
- Guidance and coordination of the collection of inputs for preparing terms of reference (TORs), technical specifications, requests for proposals (RFP) and bidding documents;
- Advising the evaluation committee members in the evaluation of the bidding documents and proposals in accordance with the AfDB Rules and Procedures;
- Preparing evaluation reports and recommendations for contract awards, technical evaluation reports and combined evaluation reports, including obtaining the necessary EAC internal clearances and AfDB’s no-objection;
- Coordination and administration of preparation and issuance of General Procurement Notice (GPN), requests for Expressions of Interest, advertisements of bid opportunities, issuing bid documents to the prospective bidders;
- Provide guidance on public bid opening sessions as well as providing clarifications where necessary;
- Ensure publication of award of contract;
- Handle any complaints relating to the procurement process;
- Drafting minutes of contract and preparing contracts for signature;
- Advise on contract administration;
- Development, compilation and maintaining information on material and service costs, suppliers and products;
- Raising of Local Purchase Orders;
- Maintaining and ensuring safe custody of procurement records;
- Attend to procurement queries, disputes and complaints and report on contract awards and progress in accordance with the EAC- PSSIP; and
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- To be qualified for the position, the candidate must meet the minimum required qualifications and experience:
- Must have a Master’s degree, from a recognized University, in either Procurement, Management, Economics, Business Administration, Engineering or any other related field;
- Professional certification, such as Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply certification (MCIPS) or other equivalent is desirable;
- Must have at least 4 years’ experience in executing procurement activities at national, regional or international bodies;
- Demonstrable understanding of the public procurement laws;
- Must be computer-literate in the use of word processor, spreadsheets and any other applications used in the procurement function;
- Working experience with AfDB or other Multilateral Development Bank funded projects is an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates should submit their applications quoting the reference number of the position applied for by registered mail, courier service, e-mail (all soft copies should be in PDF Format) or dispatch together with Curriculum Vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates, testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and daytime tele/cell phone contacts to:
The Secretary General
East African Community
EAC Close, Afrika Mashariki Road
P.O. Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel; +255 27 2162100
Fax No: 007 27 2502455/2504481
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Friday, 28th May 2021 at 17:00 hours local time (Arusha-United Republic of Tanzania)
NB: The East African Community (EAC) is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. We shall only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.