Job Title: Field Implementation Consultants for COVID-19 Response
Organisation: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Duty Station: Uganda
Period of Performance: The consultancy is a three months contract starting as soon as possible and up to July 30th 2020
MSH works shoulder-to-shoulder with countries and communities to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by building strong, resilient, sustainable health systems
About the Project:
In the advent of Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) related to COVID-19 outbreak, USAID through its Medicines, Technologies, and Pharmaceutical Services (MTaPS) program is providing technical assistance to the Ministry of Health to support the COVID-19 response in the areas of:
- Infection Prevention and Control (IPC),
- Medical waste management,
- And Supply Chain Preparedness for Emergency response in selected health care facilities across the country, MTaPS aims to support health facilities likely to receive COVID-19 infected patients to strengthen capabilities and biosafety of professional staff related to IPC, medical waste management, preparation of alternative care facilities, and procurement and management of IPC and waste management commodities for the facilities.
Job Summary: MTaPS is hiring short term consultants to form 5 field implementation teams to support the field implementation work for the COVID-19 response at designated health facilities. Each team will consist of 2 members who will work under the guidance and supervision of MTaPS and national consultants to conduct IPC compliance assessment of the assigned health facilities, support the facilities in addressing the gaps, support preparation of isolation rooms and alternative care facilities, provide training to facilities on IPC and healthcare waste management, identify procurement and supply management issues related to IPC commodities and equipment, and provide other necessary follow up support to assigned facilities.
This work will ideally require a clinical practitioner or nurse, with expertise in infection prevention and control within healthcare settings or in the context of outbreaks, and skilled in capacity building of hospital/healthcare practitioners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Each member of the field implementation team will work under the guidance and supervision of MTaPS and national consultants and visit assigned health facilities to:
- Conduct rapid IPC compliance assessment of the assigned health facilities to identify strengths, challenges, gaps, and areas of improvement in the practices of IPC, healthcare waste management, and IPC supply chain management;
- Identify IPC focal points from the facilities and support the facilities in addressing the gaps and areas of improvements as identified and agreed with the health facilities;
- Support the health facilities in the preparation/extension of isolation rooms and alternative care facilities in compliance with existing guidelines and standards;
- Attend training of trainers and provide training to facilities on IPC and healthcare waste management by using existing and agreed training materials;
- Identify and address procurement and supply management issues related to IPC commodities and equipment;
- Conduct monitoring and supervision and provide necessary follow up support to assigned facilities;
- Prepare and submit facility compliance assessment reports, trip reports, training reports and weekly updates to MTaPS.
- Facility compliance rapid assessment reports for IPC and HCWM emergency response preparedness of COVID-19 referral hospitals including quarantine and isolation units with clear recommendations
- Training reports with list of participants disaggregated by male and female
- Trip reports summarizing technical support provided
- Submission of weekly activity update reports
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant should have Knowledge and understanding of the dynamics around the COVID-19 emergency required
- Degree or diploma in a clinical field, field epidemiology, disease control, global health or any related field OR
- MBChB, with 5 years’ experience in IPC in clinical or outbreak settings OR
- Diploma or BSc. Nursing with Senior nursing expertise (10 years) with understanding of mode of infection transmission a plus OR
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology with 7 years’ experience in IPC and biosafety biosecurity in outbreak settings.
- At least 3 years’ experience in healthcare settings, field epidemiology or emergency management
- Fluency in the English language
- Basic competency in Microsoft office applications
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates Please send your CV and cover letter to: Country HR Manager and sent to [email protected]
Deadline: 5th May 2020