Job Title: Senior Banking Officer – Trade Finance Operations
Organisation: DFCU Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Manager Trade Finance and Financial Market Operations
DFCU Bank is a fast growing commercial bank offering a variety of innovative products and services. DFCU Limited was started by the Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC) of the United Kingdom and the Government of Uganda through the Uganda Development Corporation (UDC) under the name of Development Finance Company of Uganda Limited. Later restructuring brought in DEG (of Germany) and International Finance Corporation (IFC) as equal partners with CDC and UDC, each having a 25% stake in the company. Its objective was to support long-term development projects whose financing needs and risk did not appeal to the then existing financial commercial lending institutions.
The Senior Banking Officer- Trade Finance Operations is responsible for the reviewing and authenticating of back office activities of the Trade Finance products i.e. Letters of Credit, guarantees, Bills and forward contracts in accordance with regulatory and operating guidelines to minimize risk and prevent fraud.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Verification and authorization of all trade transactions and documentation, including Import and Export transactions, Letters of Credit, guarantees, Import/Export bills, Contract Finance, Forwards, and all the other Trade Finance products
- Oversee the performance of due diligence checks on the Trade documentation prior to execution of transactions.
- Prepare Drafts and Trade Finance documents e.g. Letters of Credit, guarantees, etc. in accordance with the operating guidelines.
- Proactively review, investigate and clear any reconciliation items on Nostro, LCs and Guarantees (cash and non-cash covered).
- Administer and monitor Trade Finance products by carrying out the various processes at the different stages in the life cycle of these products as well as keeping customers and the business informed at every stage.
- Receive and resolve customer queries in the trade finance operations within the agreed timelines and the mutual satisfaction of all parties.
- Compliance with the set service standards and escalation of any exceptions
- Identifying process gaps and implementing process Improvements in Trade Operations whilst minimizing risk.
- Escalation though incident of any process gaps that result into potential or actual operational losses to the Trade Finance and Financial Markets Operations Manager. Incident reporting
- Develop Trade Finance Operations officers in the unit through training, mentoring and coaching.
- Spearhead the implementation of the initiatives to improve process improvements in the unit
- Identify and reporting suspicious activity in line with the AML/CFT, KYC programs in and the bank policies / regulatory framework.
- Prepare and submit regulatory reports and any other month end report to regulators and other related parties.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the DFCU Bank Senior Banking Officer- Trade Finance Operations job must hold a Bachelor’s degree required in Commerce, Accounting or Business Statistics or another field
- Trade Certification (ACI)
- At least four years of experience working in Bank Operations preferably Trade finance operations
- Up to date knowledge of current Trade finance and Back Office operating practices and procedures.
- Up to date knowledge of compliance matters, including KYC, AML, and CFT issues.
- Ability to supervise, train staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- General awareness of risk management practices
- Conversant with SWIFT Operations
- Insight into the rules and regulations that govern Trade Finance
- The ability to engage with all the key stake holders in and out of the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Proactive approach to work with a high level of maturity and self-drive
- Strong problem-solving skills
- High level of integrity and ethical standards
- Employee development and Performance management skills.
- Strong skills at relationship building
- Analytical skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send applications with detailed CV’s including present position and copies of relevant professional/academic certificates (University Transcript, O & A level) to the email address indicated below;
Deadline: 12th June 2020