GOAL is currently seeking to hire a highly qualified professional to join our Young Africa Works (YAW) team. This is an exciting opportunity for you to join a dynamic International NGO. If you are familiar with working in or with the Private Sector, in Finance or Agriculture, and have years of experience in managing data collection and reporting, you are the one we are looking for!
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Post Graduate Diploma / MBA in economics, statistics, finance, international development or related field
- At least seven years of significant experience in market systems, private sector development, trade, economic growth and/or inclusive business programming in emerging economies
- Experience with projects that use a Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) and/or Market Systems Development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including experience drafting reports
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work and build relationships with team members and partners from diverse backgrounds
- Very strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize, implement, and deliver high-quality work within tight timelines and with minimal supervision
- Experience collaborating and working with both private and public sectors and academic institutions
- Good, demonstrable communication and presentation skills in English (both in written and spoken)
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to travel up to 50% of time from base
The nature of the role:
This is a full-time position that will report to the Deputy Program Director (Monitoring, Evaluation Research and Learning (DPD-MERL.) The role is designed to support your colleague’s understanding of agricultural market system, business development and data analytics. We are seeking a candidate who aspires to learn quickly and grow with our high performing team to deliver quality research and learning products for national and international level audiences.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Your main role will be to coordinate:
a) Development and execution of Action- Based Research and Learning Agenda.
b) Synthetization, Presentation and dissemination of research findings; and
c) Dissemination and collaboration in research and policy development with external partners and fora: Thereto you will be responsible for the coordination and development of research agenda, provide for technical valuations and advice, collaborating and networking with key actors in the market to engage them in the programme.
You will manage a team of junior researchers and be supported by short-term and long-term consultants.
We are looking for someone who finds fulfillment in:
- Supporting market systems and economic development differently. There are some known good practices in how to promote effective market systems. We like these new, innovative ways and like to explore them with our partners, to test them and adapt to local conditions. That requires critical and creative thinking. We want someone who is comfortable challenging him/herself to find unique and context-specific solutions to old problems.
- A focus on learning and practical application. We want someone who not only likes to learn for himself or herself and think outside the box, but has ways to help others to continuously learn and utilize data. You enjoy distilling complex approaches into simple and practical activities to match on-the-ground realities. This means you see good data as a means to an end, to influence interventions, to influence policy, to change practice and a means to create more meaningful social impact for all.
- Being a market analyst and a research nerd. We want someone to join the team who loves primary and qualitative research. You love finding evidence-based answers to complex problems, and love designing good interview and focus group discussion guides, and support a team of junior researchers in interviews, focus group discussions and data analysis.
- Strong attention to detail. We want someone who is a good proofreader and enjoy editing documents. You are detail oriented and double and triple check documents and emails before they go out to ensure that there are no errors. This is key to success in this role.
- Exceptional and flexible organizer. We want someone who solves problems and thinks of efficiency. You like to get things done. Your tasks will change as priorities often shift. You quickly adapt to new realities. We also need someone willing to take on technical as well as operational and administrative tasks. Being willing and able to support across these functions is critical.
- Exceptional writer. Writing is a key aspect of the job. You will be asked to do research, analyze it and write up the results. Being able to communicate through writing should be a skill that you have been praised for in the past.
- Being a collaborator. You bring a positive, solutions focused attitude to work every day. This means that you reflect our values and share your positivity with your colleagues. You manage and build your team and collaborate with other colleagues, private sector partners, government institutions, academic fora.
- Most of all you bring a positive, can-do attitude. The YAW team members work hard and with a lot of energy and commitment; we want our colleagues to share in our successes and celebrations.
Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency, with a global team of 2,400 personnel, dedicated to alleviating the needs of the most vulnerable communities. Currently operating in 13 of the world’s most vulnerable countries, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes, ranging from humanitarian relief in disaster situations, to focusing on nutrition, food security, and building greater resilience and sustainable livelihoods.
General description of the country programme:
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to a range of background checks. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants who meet the requirements should submit their applications by email with at least 4 reference contacts (3 from the last three employers, and 1 character reference), please attach a copy of driving permit, and daytime contact number to; The Human Resource Manager, GOAL Uganda: email@example.com indicating the title ‘Research and Learning Coordinator’ in the subject line by 10th July 2020. PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH CERTIFICATES.
Deadline: 10th July 2020