Job Title: Receptionist
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
Vacancy Notice: Internal/ External Vacancy Notice no. 008/2020
Position Number: 10033694
Position Grade: GS-3
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
The Receptionist will assist in organizing and coordinating the reception area of UNHCR Office. The incumbent has no supervisory role and will always function under the direct supervision of a (Senior) Associate or an Officer who is required to monitor the performance of the incumbent and provide regular guidance. The incumbent will have internal contacts within UNHCR with staff members and focal points from different units and with external parties for exchange of information and reception of visitors.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive, screen and assist visitors/clients and escorts them to responsible officer concerned. Adopt tactful attitude to inform and convince interlocutors to accept unforeseen situations, such as waiting longer than expected, meet with a different officer than expected or accepting the cancellation of an appointment.
- Answer to incoming calls and transfer calls to concerned officer and/or take messages or provide general information, understanding the importance and the confidentiality of the issues treated.
- Receive and transmit verbal and written messages to appropriate officer/office/Unit/Department.
- Record the incoming and outgoing mail and manage internal courier distribution, as appropriate. Register/keep records of visitors/clients, as requested.
- Utilise office equipment (telephone, fax, radio, computer…) when necessary.
- Perform any other clerical duty that may be required
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Receptionist job placement should hold a High school diploma
- At least three years of previous job experience relevant to the function is required.
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and organizing
- Change Capability and Adaptability
- Knowledge of English is required
- Good computer skills in using various office applications (including Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet Explorer and Access) is desirable.
- Good knowledge of proGres (HCR database for registration of refugees, returnees and displaced persons) is desirable.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 21st June 2020