Teargas canister shatters woman’s leg as police blocks Bobi Wine’s rallies in Acholi

Woman's leg shattered by teargas canister
A female NUP supporter Zubeda Yasin, 26, had her leg shattered when a teargas canister was hurled at her.

Nwoya, Uganda | URN | Two people were on Thursday 10th, December 2020 injured and hospitalized in Nwoya and Amuru Districts following running battles between police and National Unity Platform [NUP] party supporters.

They include Zubeda Yasin, 26, a resident of Lorikwo West Cell in Elegu Town Council in Amuru and a man yet to be identified, a resident of Anaka Town Council in Nwoya. The duo is being treated at St. Mary’s Hospital Lacor and Anaka Hospital respectively.

The scuffles emanated after Presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu alias Bobi Wine’s visit to Omoro, Nwoya and Amuru Districts on Thursday 10th, December 2020 where he was scheduled to canvas for votes.

Earlier, Bobi Wine entered Gulu City from Moyo District in West Nile at around 3:00 pm and visited NUP regional office in the East Division and proceeded to Amuru District where he was scheduled to address his supporters in Pabbo and Atiak Townships.

Patrick Jimmy Okema, the Aswa River Region Police Spokesperson says that after they met Kyagulanyi’s advance team and agreed he would only address rallies in Atiak and Pabbo Townships, the candidate upon his arrival rejected the designated grounds, and defiantly proceeded to Elegu, at the Uganda-South Sudan border. 

He was intercepted, teargassed and his supporters dispersed. It was during this fracas that one, Zubeda sustained injuries on her left leg after she was hit with a teargas canister. 

NUP supporter injured by teargas canister
NUP supporters carrying a woman whose leg was shattered by a teargas canister lobbed by police in attempt to block Bobi Wine from campaigning in Elegu.

Kyagulanyi proceeded to Omoro District where he addressed roadside gatherings uninterrupted. He proceeded to Nwoya District to address a rally at Anaka Town Council.

Read Also: Tear gas canister shatters woman’s leg as police disperse Bobi Wine’s supporters in Kotido

He was further blocked by Field Force Unit [FFU] police from entering Anaka Town Council on grounds of arriving at the rally ground at 6:30 pm, 30 minutes past the official time allotted by the Electoral Commission for campaign rallies to end. 

Attempts by Kyagulanyi’s entourage to defy police directives and force their way to the Town Council prompted security to fire teargas to disperse his supporters.