Job Title: Finance Officer (2 Job Vacancies)
Organisation: Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance Manager
The Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading humanitarian organization in Uganda. Since its inception in 1939 as a small women’s emergency organization, URCS has developed over the years into a formidable well-respected humanitarian agency. In 1941, it became a branch of the British Red Cross. The URCS was recognised by an “Act of Parliament in 1964” and admitted as a member of International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent in 1965.
Job Summary: The role of the Finance Officer will be to ensure quality and timely reporting of project funds as well as accountability for the funds disbursed to staff, ensuring compliance to the appropriate principles and procedures. He/She will also contribute to the budget control processes. The Finance Officer will report to the Finance manager and will supervise Accounts Assistants attached to the project areas, if any. The Finance Officer supports the Project Team in the day-to day financial management of the project. He or she will prepare financial data, monthly, quarterly and annual reports and audits. The Finance Officer will support the Finance Manager in preparing of payroll and invoicing and will ensure all transactions are in line with accountability regulations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow up on budget utilization and prepare monthly budget monitoring and utilization reports for review. To report on analyses, variances, causes and propose actions to be taken to address them.
- Facilitate timely disbursement of project funds for activities to the beneficiaries in line with activity plans.
- Verify authenticity of accountability documents, process financial transactions, and validate conformity to expenditure procedures in line with URCS
- policies, International Accounting Standards, statutory requirements and donor requirements.
- Monitor working advance balances and follow-up to ensure all working advances are accounted for in accordance with URCS guidelines.
- Reconcile staff debtor and creditor balances and other balance sheet codes and ensure that these balances are kept at the lowest possible level.
- Ensure reconciliations of receivable and accounts payables every end of month.
- Provide on job training to improve financial literacy of project staff and branch managers as authorized by the supervisors.
- Ensure Core recharge is picked form projects as soon as funds are transferred
- Prepare Budget Variance reports and share with projects teams on a monthly basis
- Ensure proper filing of all accountability and project documents.
- Prepare financial data in support of internal and external audits.
- Ensure project procurements are done on time
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or a finance related field from a recognized institution;
- At least level two of ACCA or CPA.
- Three years of relevant work experience in a similar position in a donor funded institution;
- Profound work experience in the application of an accounting software;
- Prior working experience of NAVISION accounting software is an added advantage.
- High levels of integrity
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues;
- Positive, respectful attitude and collaborative approach to diversity;
- Track record in community mobilization, technical training, facilitation and awareness raising activities;
- Demonstrated attention to detail; ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently as well as cooperatively with team members;
- Team player, self-motivated and proactive on own initiative to set and achieve goals;
- Highly motivated, self-starter able to lead a process, engage others and create ownership;
- IT experience – Proficient in Microsoft Office (WORD, EXCEL, power point)
- Strong projects management experience
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their filled application forms, Download Here, and attach your academic transcripts and certificates. The filled application forms and academic transcripts and certificates can be e-mailed to; [email protected] or hand delivered, and or by post to:
The Secretary General,
Uganda Red Cross Society,
Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road,
P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Email to: [email protected]
Deadline: Monday 12th August 2019 by 5:00 p.m.