Job Title: Graphic Designer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief Commercial Officer
Location: Headquarters, Kampala, Uganda
Application opening: 19th August 2020
Application deadline: 18th November 2020
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise providing asset and SME finance, leasing, insurance, and financial literacy to new customers, and consumer finance to qualified existing customers. It was formally established in 2012 in Uganda and is a technology-enabled asset financier of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs, using a lease-to-own product to offer an affordable path to ownership of these assets. Tugende empowers customers unable to access formal credit, and has financed over 30,000 customers.
About the role:
With Tugende’s ongoing rapid growth this creates immense opportunities for innovation, improvement alongside expansion of core business streams. As the core business is growing quickly, we need to penetrate new markets to meet our business goals. The Graphic Designer will be responsible for creating visual concepts, by hand or using computer software, communicating ideas that inspire, inform, or captivate consumers. They will be required to develop the overall layout and production design for advertisements, brochures, magazines, and corporate reports.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Graphic Designer will execute the following key duties and responsibilities:
- Determine the message the design should portray
- Prepare rough drafts of material based on an agreed brief
- Develop concepts, graphics and layouts for product illustrations, company website and logos
- Liaise with external printers on a regular basis to ensure deadlines are met and material is printed to the highest quality
- Create images that identify a product or convey a message
- Developing graphics for digital and print i.e. social media posts, campaigns, product flyers, magazines, etc.
- Select colours, images, text style, and layout
- Present and convince on design
- Work using iterations and Incorporate changes recommended into the final design
- Review designs for errors before printing or publishing them
Note: This job description gives a general guideline, and therefore does not include an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities
Qualifications, Skills and Experience: Knowledge, experience, skills and qualification:
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or related field
- Demonstrates creativity and originality through a professional portfolio that features the best designs
- Must keep up with new and updated computer graphics and design software, either on their own or through formal software training programmes
- 1 to 3 years of design work experience
Personal attributes and abilities:
- Analytical skills: Looks at work from the point of view of the clients and examines how the designs will be perceived by the client to ensure they convey the company’s desired message.
- Artistic ability: Creates designs that are artistically interesting and appealing to clients. Should be able to produce rough illustrations of design ideas, either by hand sketching or by using a computer programme.
- Communication skills: Communicates with clients, customers, and other Designers to ensure that designs accurately reflect the desired message and effectively express information.
- Computer skills: Uses specialized graphic design software to prepare designs.
- Creativity: Thinks of new approaches to communicating ideas to consumers. Able to develop unique designs that convey a recognisable meaning on behalf of the company.
- Time-management skills: Work on multiple projects at the same time, each with a different deadline.
- Accountability: holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions, follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for the departmental success.
- Planning and organizing: develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills: understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques, ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience, and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
- Professionalism and maintaining the Tugende Brand: Maintains professionalism in all correspondence while being empathetic and personable.
- Positive attitude: Maintains a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient: Flexible in schedule and work hours, seeks direct feedback and sees every challenge as an opportunity to grow.
What will you gain?
Meaningful work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial development. Join us!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of ~450 employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as events for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.
More About Tugende: Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and what you see on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion startups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist. Beyond geographic growth, Tugende’s future will include multiple asset finance products and tools to help Tugende reach millions of clients without losing high touch personal support.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 18th November 2020