Uganda musicians petition parliament for industry reforms

Uganda musicians petition parliament for industry reforms
Uganda musicians federation runs to parliament for help

Kampala, Uganda | By Michael Wandati | Musicians, operating under the Uganda National Musicians Federation (UNMF), have submitted a formal petition to the Parliament of Uganda with a set of proposals aimed at boosting the local music industry.

One of the primary requests put forth by the artists is that radio and TV stations in the country allocate a substantial portion, specifically 90 per cent, of their airtime to Ugandan music. This measure is seen as a crucial step in promoting local content and fostering the growth of the music sector.

Additionally, the musicians are advocating for amendments to the Copyright and Neighboring Rights Act of 2006 to accommodate the rapid changes in technology.

Uganda musicians petition parliament over copyright law and other industry reforms

They also seek a revision of the charges for caller back tunes, with the proposal that artists should receive 60 per cent of the proceeds, while the remaining 40 per cent is shared between the government and telecom companies.

Read Also: Grenade quits Eddy Kenzo-led UNMF, citing ‘fake’ leadership

Another significant proposal involves the imposition of a tax levy on various devices such as computers, laptops, and photocopiers that are used in the reproduction of copyrighted works. The revenue generated from this tax would be distributed evenly between the government and the holders of copyrights.

The Uganda National Musicians Federation (UNMF), led by musician Eddy Kenzo, serves as the overarching body representing the interests of musicians across Uganda.

Established in 2023, the federation has been actively engaged in endeavors aimed at the promotion, safeguarding, and advancement of the music industry within the country.