Mityana man arrested for suffocating girlfriend to death

Thugs behead Kibaale man, run off with head

Mityana, Uganda | By Michael Wandati | Amid the concerning nationwide surge in domestic violence cases, authorities in Mityana district have arrested a man on suspicion of suffocating his girlfriend to death following a family dispute.

The detained suspect has been identified as Jackson Tumukunde, and the victim in this tragic incident is Lydia Kobusingye, a 31-year-old resident of Kakonde-Katwe village, Bulamu parish, Bulera subcounty, Mityana district.

The investigation into this harrowing case was initiated on October 24, when a missing person report was filed at the Mityana police station, prompting an immediate search. On October 29, 2023, at approximately 11:00 am, Harriet Nanyonjo made a grim discovery, stumbling upon Lydia Kobusingye’s lifeless body buried in their shared garden in Kakonde-Katwe village, Mityana district, as conveyed in a statement by the regional police commander, Racheal Kawala.

Law enforcement officers who arrived at the scene confirmed the identity of the deceased as Lydia Kobusingye and indicated that preliminary findings indicated she was last seen with her boyfriend, the prime suspect, that fateful morning as they were jointly tending to their garden, shortly before her disappearance.

Police records revealed that the couple had a history of domestic conflicts, leading to a temporary separation at one point, though they subsequently reconciled.

“It is alleged that the couple had a history of domestic disputes, even leading to a temporary separation, but they later reconciled,” said the Police.

Read Also: How man conspired with girlfriend to kill wife through lethal injection 

The lifeless body of the victim was discovered in a shallow grave near a rudimentary structure within their garden. It had been wrapped in a worn-out mosquito net, with her head restrained by a polythene sack believed to have been used in her suffocation prior to the clandestine burial.

Presently, Jackson Tumukunde remains in custody at Mityana Central Police Station, while the body of the deceased is undergoing a postmortem examination at Mityana Hospital.

In the wake of this distressing incident, the regional police have urged individuals facing domestic violence or abuse to promptly report their predicaments to the authorities, with the objective of preventing further escalation of such serious offenses.